Thursday 8 March 2007

Humo Ludens

When looking at games and play, it is often easier to discover where the terms originated from. For example "Paidean is equivalent to play; a primary power of improvisation and joy, Ludus, closer to game suggests the rules within which paidea is often contained". (2006, p.10). Therefore play includes games. Wittgenstein's characteristics of game are also relevant, for example here are the 4 rules, competitive, rule based, skilful and luck. All of these factors can be applied to game. When looking at the 'magic circle', it looks at "Huizinga's concept of the magic circle as a core concept to refer to the special place and time created by a game". (2006,p.32). Therefore play had no fixed boundaries of time space and rules. When looking at the magic circle, it is equal to the games special 'content'. The effect can also be physical or psychological. When looking at the lusory attitude, it is when a player decides to enter the magic circle; a good state of mind is required for this.

I have decided to relate this theory to the game I played called Banjo Kazooie. When playing this game I had to adopt a lusory attitude. This is because I had to be in the right state of mind to play the game as it required my concentration. When I had decided to play the game, I was then entering the magic circle. In the game I played a character called Banjo who with his friend a bird called Kazooie goes on a journey to save Banjos sister. During the game, I had to complete levels, collect puzzle pieces to go on to the next level and do little tasks. Many games "require a gamer to overcome obstacles if she hopes to proceed from level to level". (2002, p.40). Therefore I felt I could gain a lusory attitude because I new how to overcome the boundaries and therefore felt safe in the circle. I also played the game Zelda on the Nintendo 64, this game also had a similar concept and a set of rules to follow in order to feel safe in the circle. I found this game more challenging than Banjo Kazooie as I could sometimes not complete the levels.



Bibliography:

King, G., Krzywinska, T. (2006) Tomb Raiders and Space Invaders, United States of America: I.B. Tauris & Co Ltd.

Kerr, A. (2006) The business and culture of digital games, London: SAGA Publications Ltd.

King, G., Krywinska, T. (2002) Screen Play, Great Britain: Wallflower Press.

No comments: